Sunday, May 24, 2009

Jalapeno and Cilantro Flavored Codfish Cakes



Jalapeno and Cilantro-Flavored Codfish Cakes

1 lb. cod fillets, skin removed (I used skinless, bonless)
1 small onion, grated
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons plain dried breadcrumbs
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
lime wedges

Using a large knife or in a food processor, chop the cod. Mix together the cod, onion, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in large bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs and the eggs, stirring until mixed.

With damp hands, shape the cod mixture into 12 (1/2 in. thick) patties. Sprinkle the patties on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs.

Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the patties to the skillet and cook until cooked throughout and crispy, about 5 minutes on each side. Pile the codfish cakes on a platter and garnish with lime wedges.

Serves 4
3 cakes per serving
WW pts 4

I served my cod cakes with a side dish of fresh green beans with carmalized onion, and some broccoli with a drizzle of Kraft Light Done Right 3 cheese Ranch dressing. I used this instead of fattening cheese sauce poured all over my broccoli. Lime wedge on the side, of course.

P.S. Just a quick note about the cod....I couldn't find any fresh cod the day I made this recipe, so I had to use frozen cod fillets. I would recommed trying to get fresh cod as there will not be nearly the amount of water you will have with the frozen. My mixture was too wet using the frozen fish, therefore I added more breadcrumbs driving up my points!!

1 comment:

Trainer Shauna said...

Looks yummy! I wonder if these could be done on the grill as well. I'll have to give these a try! :)